Amla itself is a healthy fruit and nothing more if without cooking you can make tasty sweet candy out of it with a sweet salt and tangy flavour.Do make and enjoy this lovely treat.
Ingredients:- ( Serves 250 gm )
- 1 kg Gooseberries / Amla
- 1/2 kg Sugar / Cheeni
- 1/2-1 tsp Pepper / Kali mirch
- 1/2-1 tsp Black salt / Kala namak
- 1 tbsp Sugar powder
- Take a vessel and keep to boil about a litre of water.
- Put the Amla over a perforated tray and keep this tray over the boiling water covered to let it steam.
- Steam cook Amla 8-10 minutes over medium-high till soft.
- After the Amla gets soft ,remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Now you can easily break apart Amla into pieces discarding seeds.
- Put Amla in a vessel spreading Sugar over it.
- Let it be like this for 2-3 days. ( Sugar will itself melt.)
- Separate out the Amla from the Water.
- Add and mix Black salt and Pepper,then spread over a tray or plate and let it to dry.
- Next coat the Amla Candy with powdered Sugar.
- And enjoy !
- You can even steam the Amla using a steamer or rice cooker.
- There are already marks of separation over Amla.
- Don’t discard the Amla soaked Sugar Water,use it as a Sharbat.
- Either you can dry he Amla pieces in fridge or Sunlight covered with thin cotton cloth to protect from dust.
- After Amla dries to candy it should be dry in touch but still soft and chewable.
- Keep stored in fridge for 2-3 months.