Make authentic Kashmiri style Palak Matar sabji in exactly the way in which traditionally it used to be made without Onion or Garlic.
- 1 kg Spinach / Palak
- 1 cup Peas / Matar
- 3 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso tel
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick / Dalchini tukda
- 3 Cloves / Loung
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder/ Lal Mirch
- 2 green chillies / Hari mirch ( Optional )
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder / Zeera powder
- 1/2 tsp Dry Ginger powder / Saunth
- Rinse Spinach and then finely chop the leaves in small batches.
- In smoked out Oil keeping heat low add Asafoetida,Cinnamon and Cloves
- Within few seconds add chopped Spinach,Salt,Tomato and half to one teaspoon Chilli powder,Turmeric,Dry Ginger powder and Cumin powder
- Mash using a spatula and cook till Spinach gets smooth and atleast 80% Water dries off.
- Add Peas and half to one teaspoon more Chilli powder and continue cooking till Water completely dries off.
- Now adding green Chillies continuously stirring over low to medium sauté Spinach 5-6 minutes.
- Add about one cup Water.Mix, when Water starts boiling cover and let cook on low 8-10 minutes.
- It’s ready serve hot with Rice.
- In authentic style of Palak Matar Spinach was blanched that means strained out from hot water after 2-3 minutes without being prior chopped and then properly mashed with a masher while cooking.