Mango pickle the name is just enough to give you watery mouth specially when its made by grandmother in authentic traditional style.
Ingredients :- ( Serves 500 gm )
- 600 gm Raw Mango / Kari
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin / Zeera
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander / Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Fenugreek / Mathi
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard / Rai
- 1/2 tbsp Fennel seeds / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Carom / Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Nigella / Kalonji
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- Cut mangoes in thin slices.
- Then generously sprinkle Salt over it,this will dehydrate Mango pieces.
- Keep Mango pieces to dry under sun or in fridge or in oven.
- After 5-6 days when Mangoes dry we will dry roast Cumin,Coriander,Fenugreek and Mustard over a low heat.Cool and grind
- Add the ground spices to a bowl to this add remaining spices along with Salt to taste and Mustard oil.M
- Add the dry Mango pieces to this mix,completely coating the Mango pieces with this spice mix.
- Now add these pieces to a sterilzed glass jar.
- Secure the lid with a plastic sheet or cotton cloth using a rubber band.
- Keep this jar under sun or in warm corner of your kitchen for a week.
- And your Mango pickle is ready.
- To dry mango pieces spread them over a cotton cloth to dry under sun.
- You can also dry it in fridge by keeping it over a sieve.It will take you 4-5 days.
- In oven you can dry Mango pieces by keeping it at 80°C to 100°C for 2-3 hours.
- Do not over roast spices,it might turn bitter.
- You can use smoked or unsmoked Mustard Oil.
- In between while pickling if your pickle looks too dry you can add more Oil if required.
- To keep your pickle fungus free never use wet spoon to take out pickle and never keep your pickle exposed to moisture.