Baigan ka Bartha is a mashed spicy north Indian dish made by slow roasting of Eggplant over hot fire. It is equally cherished by all.
Ingredients (Serving 4)
- Egg Plant/Brinjal/Baingan 500 gms
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Cumin Seed 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seed ½ tsp
- Finely Chopped Onions 3 Medium Sized
- Ginger 1 Inch
- Tomato Puree 1 tbsp or Fresh Tomatoes 3 Finely Chopped
- Green Chilies 2
- Salt 1 tsp
- Red Chili Pwdr ½ tsp
- Turmeric Pwdr 1 tsp
- Coriander Pwdr 1 tsp
- Garam Masala ½ tsp
- Coriander Leaves ½ Cup
- Lemon Juice or Mango Pwdr( Optional )
- Wash and dry the Egg Plant.
- Pierce the Egg Plant with a knife.
- Apply Oil all over the Brinjal/Egg Plant.
- Roast the Baingan/Egg Plant in an oven or over the gas stove flame.(In oven it will take about 20 min and over gas stove flame it will take you about 5 to 7 min to roast the Egg Plant.)
- After this keep the Egg Plant/Baingan immersed in water for about 5 min to cool down.
- Then remove the skin and mash the Baingan.
- Meanwhile take a frying pan and add oil into it.
- When the oil smokes out and gets hot enough add the Cumin seeds along with Fenugreek seeds in it.
- As the seeds start crackling add chopped onions and green chilies.
- Saute the onions till they start becoming transparent and then add Ginger to it.
- Now start adding Salt, Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder along with Tomato Puree.
- Keep on cooking for another 5 min and the recipe is ready to serve
- Sprinkle with Coriander Leaves, Mango Pwdr and Garam Masala
- Serve hot with Indian Bread (Roti)or Paratha.
- Instead of Tomato Puree you can also add fresh Tomatoes after sauteing the onions.