Biryani needs no introduction – a blend of special spices that’s masala makes the rice and any added- veg or non veg in it cooked in DUM on a low heat a treat for food lovers.
For the spice Sack
• 1½ tbsp Dry Fenugreek / Kasuri Methi
• 3 strands Mace / Javitri
• ½ tsp Dry Mint leaves Powder or 1 tbsp Fresh Mint Leaves
• ½ tsp Black Cardamom Powder
• ½ tsp Green Cardamom Powder
• ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
• ½ tsp Black Pepper
• ½ tsp Celery Seeds / Radhuni
• 1 tsp Black Cumin Seeds / Shahi Jeera
• ½ tsp Garam Masala
• 3 Cloves
For the Rice
• 4 Cups water
• 1tsp Salt
• 3 Bayleaves
• 3 Cups long Basmati rice
For rest of the Biryani
• 6 Boiled Eggs
• 4 Baby Potatoes
• 3 tbsp Oil
• 3 Onions
• 1 tsp Ginger & Garlic Paste each
• ½ tsp Chili Paste
• ½ tsp Black Cumin Seeds / Shahi Jeera
• ½ tsp Garam Masala
• ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
• ½ tsp Dry Mint leaves Powder
• ¼ tsp Chili Powder
• 5 tbsp Curd / Yoghurt
• ¼ tsp Green Cardamom Powder
• ½ tsp Salt
• 2 strand of saffron dissolved in water
• 2 tsp screw ine water / Kewra
• 3 tsp Ghee
1. Keep the rice soaked in water for about an hour before preparing the Biryani.
2. Take a small handkerchief sized Muslin cloth and drop over it all the spices mentioned above and tie it in form of a little sack.
3. Now in a vessel take some water and add to it salt, Bayleaves along with the sack and let it to boil.
4. After the water starts boiling add the soaked rice into it and cook it just 60%.(When you are able to press the rice grain between your finger and thumb but it still doesn’t break ;this means its perfect for Biryani.)
5. Cut the Potatoes into half and pierce them across. Pierce the boiled eggs too.
6. Now fry them in a heavy bottomed vessel till light golden in color and then strain them out.
7. In the oil now add chopped Onions. When they start turning translucent add the Ginger & Garlic Paste along with Chili Paste.
8. Now add to it Black Cumin Seeds, Garam Masala, Turmeric Powder, Dry Mint leaves Powder, Chili Powder, Green Cardamom Powder, Salt and Yoghurt.
9. Mix well everything with the fried Potato and eggs.
10. Now take out half of this prepared mix in a bowl and keep on making one by one layers of rice , mixed egg and potatoes with some fried onions.(Like we make for lasagna)
11. After this is complete spread screw pine water, dissolved saffron and ghee all over the rice and along the edges.
12. Tightly cover the vessel now and let the Biryani to cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.(If you are not using a heavy bottomed vessel then keep it over a griddle.)