Urad dal is the most widely used lentil in India starting from north to south with a variety of recipes made out of it starting from Vadis’s to vadas. A dish can be prepared out of it for any course. It has a lot of nutritional value including for those having diabetes
Ingredients (Serving 4) :
- 300gms Urad dal / Black Gram
- 2Medium Sized Onions
- 1 tbspClarified Butter/ Desi Ghee
- ½ CupGrated Cheese
- ½ CupCoriander Leaves / Dhania
- Saltto taste
- ½ tspCumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1 tsp TurmericPowder / Haldi
- ½ inchGinger Paste
- ¼ tspOnion Seeds / Kalonji
- 2 to 3Green Chilies
- ½ tspGaram Masala
- Soak the Urad dal in water for about 2 hours till the Urad dal gets tender and absorbs some water.
- Put the dal now into a pressure cooker along with its water ( Add little more water if required approx 1 to 1 ½ cup) adding Salt, Turmeric powder plus Clarified butter and cook it till 2 to 3 whistles.( Depending on how much tender you want the dal.)
- Meanwhile in a pan heat some Oil and add the Cumin Seeds and Onion Seeds into it and let them to crackle.
- You can now add the chopped onions into it along with the finely chopped Chilies.
- Sauté this for a while and then add the Ginger paste.
- Now keep on sautéing till the Onion turn golden brown in color.
- We will now add our cooked Urad dal into it along with the Clarified butter and Garam Masala.
- Keep on sautéing the dal in the fry till whole of the dal water gets evaporated. It will take you about 7 min.
- Serve the dal now garnishing with some cheese flakes, Coriander leaves and onions.
- Cook in a non stck cookware.
- Adding a little bit butter while cookingdal in the pressure cooker prevents the excess dal water to come out.
- Cook on a medium flame.
For any further clarification please do watch the video.