Handvo is a very famous Gujrati recipe .It can be called as a healthy mix of Lentils and vegetables combined together into a savoury cake.This recipe is very filling and can be eaten in any hour of the day.
* 1/2 Cup Split Bengal Gram / Chanda Dal
* 1/2 Cup Split Green Gram / Dhulia Moong Dal
* 1 Cup Rice
* 1/2 Cup Split Black Gram / Urad Dal
* 1/2 Cup Curd / Yoghurtt
* Salt to taste
* 1 Cup Shredded Cabbage / Bandhgobi
* 1 Cup Shredded Bottle Gourd / Lauri
* 1 Cup Shredded Carrot / Gajjar
* 1 tsp Ginger Paste
* 2 Green Chilies made into Paste
* 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder / Lal Mirch
* 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi
* 1/2 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
* 1/2 tsp Dry Mango Powder / Aamchoor
* 1/4 tsp Baking Soda / Edible Soda
* 1 tbsp Raisin / Kishmish
* 12 Curry Leaves / Kadai Patta
* 1 Small tsp Cumin Seeds / Zeera
* 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
* 1 tsp Sesame Seeds / Safad Til
* 1 pinch Asafoetida / Hing
* 2 Dry Chilies / Sukhoi Mirch
* 3 tbsp Oil
* 1 Big Onion
1. Soak the three Dals and Rice in water for about 4 hours and then grind it into a coarse batter.
2. Now adding Curd and salt to this batter keep it aside covered for fermentation over night or for 8 hours.
3. Next prepare the tempering by adding Cumin Seeds,Mustard Seeds, Sesame Seeds,Asafoetida,Chilies and Curry Leaves into the hot smoking Oil and immediately within few seconds when the spices start crackling, add the chopped Onion into it and sauté till it starts getting translucent.
4. Then add this tempering to the batter along with Cabbage ,Bottle gourd, Carrot, Ginger, Chilli Paste, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Carom Seeds, Dry Mango Powder, Baking Soda and Raisin.
5. Mix all the ingredients together in the batter and pour this into a greased baking mould.
6. Bake it at 200 degree Celsius for about an hour.
7. Unmould and serve warm after cutting it into pieces.
* Soak the Dal and the Rice in as much water that it just gets immersed in it ( Don’t add too much water )
* Keep some part of the tempering aside and drop it over the batter when the batter has been poured in the mould.
* Handvo tastes great with Dhania Chutney.
* For that crispy crust , keep it inside the hot oven even after baking till it comes down to the room temperature.