• 500gms Eggplant / Baingan
• Mustard Oil for frying
Masala for Gravy
• 1 tbsp Coriander seeds / Dhania seeds
• 2 tbsp sesame seeds / Safad Til
• 1 tsp Cumin Seed / Jeera
• 1 tbsp Fenugreek Seed / Mathi Seeds
• 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds / Khus Khus
• 2 tbsp Ground Nut / Moongfali
• 2 Onion
• 1 Small Coconut / Nariyal
• 1 tbsp Oil
For the Bagara OR Temper
• 3 Bayleaves / Tej Pata
• 10-12 Curry Leaves / Kadi Pata
• ½ tsp White 2 Mustard / Safad Sarso
• ¼ Onion Seeds / Kalonji
• 2-3 Cloves / Laung
• 3 tbsp Oil
Other Ingredients Required
• 1 tsp Ginger & Garlic Paste each
• ½ tsp green Chili Paste
• 3 Cups Water
• Salt to taste
• ½ tsp Turmeric powder / Haldi
• ¼ tsp Cinnamon Powder/ Dalchini
• ¼ tsp Black Cardamom Powder / Badi Elachi
• ¼ tsp Green Cardamom Powder / Hari Elachi
• ½ tsp Cumin seed Powder / Jeera Powder
• 3 tbsp Tamarind Juice / Imli
• 1-2 tbsp Melted Jaggery / Gud
1. Wash and dry the Eggplant then cut the upper part of the stem along with the lobed leaves.
2. Now cut them half way into four parts and fry them in smoked out mustard on medium heat for about 5 minutes and then strain them out.
3. In the Oil splatter all the whole spices listed above for the gravy and then add the Ground nut to it. Keep on roasting all the ingredients for about 2 to 3 minutes on a low heat and then put off the heat and let it to come down to room temperature.
4. Then grind this into a semi coarse paste adding the coconut and little water only if required.
5. Now in the hot Oil drop in all the ingredients listed for the temper and let them to spatter.
6. Then add the Ginger & Garlic paste, Green Chili paste and the made Gravy Masala.
7. Add water, salt , Turmeric powder, Cinnamon, Black & Green Cardamom, Cumin powder, Tamarind Juice and Jaggery water.
8. Blend and mix everything well and then add the fried Eggplants.
9. Now cover the vessel and let this to cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes.
10. Then put off the heat and serve with Pulao or Biryani.