Bitter Melon along with Eggplant makes a very tasty simple easy to cook recipe that can be enjoyed with Rice or Roti. It’s a bit tangy in flavor because of the use of curd in it. This dish is a part of Kashmiri Cuisine.
Ingredients (Serving 4) :
- 400 gms Karela / Bitter Gourd / Bitter Melon
- 400 gms Baingan / Egg Plant
- Oil to fry
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup or 200 gms Curd
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Shahi Jeera / Caraway/Black Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 ½ tsp Fennel Seed Powder / Saunf
- ½ tsp Dry Ginger Powder / Saunth
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seed Powder
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Chilies
- Peel and wash the Karela’s and cut into half. (Take out any hard seeds if found)
- Wash and cut the Eggplant too into long squarely pieces.
- Heat the oil in a pan and then put the Eggplant to fry till golden brown.
- After frying take out the Eggplant in a bowl and repeat the process with Bitter Melon.
- Now in the remaining oil (Take out the excess oil if you want) add Curd, Turmeric powder, chili powder, Shahi Jeera, Cumin seed powder, Cloves, Fennel powder, Dry Ginger powder and Salt
- Mix well and then add the fried karela and Baingan along with a glass of water.
- Cook for 10 min covered on medium flame till the Karela becomes tender.
- Serve with Rice or Roti.
- Keep the peeled Bitter Melon soaked in salted water for couple of hours to minimize the bitterness.
- Fry the Eggplant before frying Bitter Melon
For any further clarification please do watch the video.