This veg roll commonly known as vegetable chop in Kolkata is available at every street corner shop of Kolkata selling Nimki and Samosas.It has its unique sweet salty savoury taste because of Beetroot as its main ingredients besides all other vegetables.You might live it,you might not like it initially but you won’t be able to forget its flavour and texture,so let’s begin making this popular Kolkata evening tea snack.
Ingredients:- ( Serves 18 )
- 2 Dry Red chillies
- 1 Bayleaf / Tej patta
- 1 Black cardamom / Badi elachi
- 1 inch Cinnamon / Dalchini
- 12 Peppercorns / Kali mirch ke Dane
- 2-3 Cloves / Loung
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / Zeera
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Coriander seeds / Dhaniya
- 1/4 tsp Black salt / Kala namak
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 big Beetroot / Chukindar
- 1 cup shredded Carrot / Gajar
- 1 tbsp Oil / Tel
- 1 tsp Ginger paste / Adrakh
- 1/2 -1 tsp Green chilli paste / Hari mirch
- 1 tsp Panch Phorun ( Mix of 1/4 tsp each – Mustard seeds / Sarso, Cumin seeds / Zeera, Onion seeds / Kalonji, Fennel seeds / Saunf, Fenugreek seeds / Meethi )
- 3 boiled Potatoes / Aloo
- 1 tbsp roasted Peanuts / Moongfali
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar / Cheeni
- 1 tsp green Coriander paste or 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh Coriander / Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Dry mango powder / Aamchur
- Made Garam masala
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Red chilli powder / Lal mirch
- 1 cup Water ( if required )
- 3/4 cup Corn flour
- Little less than 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup Bread crumb
MORE WE REQUIRE
- Oil / Tel to fry
- Black salt / Kala namak to sprinkle
- To make Garam masala add all spices listed or Garam masala into a heavy bottom pan.Put on the stove over low and roast till spices start crackling and get aromatic.
- After the roasted spices cool down ,grind into powder.
- Now for the stuffing in hot Oil add Panch phoron Let it crackle few seconds on low.
- Add Ginger and Chilli paste.Still over low saute for 30 seconds.Then add shredded Beetroot & Carrot.
- Sauté over medium-high heat.stirring occasionally till tender adding Salt & Sugar.
- Within 10-12 minutes when the Beetroot-Carrot gets soft add roasted Peanuts.Saute over low-medium for about 5 minutes and then add mashed boiled Potatoes.
- Also add fresh Coriander,mango powder,Chilli powder and made Garam masala.Well mix all ingredients over low and then switch off to cool down.
- Now shape them into oblong chop keeping all ready.
- Make a Corn flour slurry neither too thick nor thin adding Water.
- Coat the chop with made Corn flour slurry and then coat it with Bread crumb.
- Again repeat the step to get a thick crisp coating over the chop.
- Do the same with all pieces and then keep them ready to fry in hot Oil.
- Fry on medium heat,flip them after a little while to evenly fry on all sides.
- Fry till golden brown and strain out.
- Sprinkle little Black salt over when still hot.
- Serve hot fresh with Salad and Tomato ketchup.
- Be careful not to over roast or burn spices to avoid getting bitter.
- If Beetroot & Carrot are not getting soft adding little Water cook covered or uncovered till tender.
- If veg mix sticks too much to your hand apply little Oil over your palm.