Usually Uttapam made with one Lentil,Rice and Onion but here we will make it with a veg mix and multiple pulses.
FOR VEGGIES MIX
* 1 tbsp Oil
* 1/2 tsp Nigella seeds / Kalonji
* 1/2 tsp Cumin / Zeera
* 1 tbsp Curry leaves
* 2 finely chopped green chillies / Mirch
* 1 cup Onion
* 1 cup French Beans
* 1 cup Cauliflower florets / Ghobi
* 1 cup Cauliflower/ Pataghobi
* 1 cup Carrot / Gajjar
* Salt to taste
* 1 tbsp Green Coriander / Dhaniya
* 1/4 tsp Garam masala
* 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
* 1+1/2 cup Rice
* 1 cup Split Bengal gram / Tuta Channa
* 1 cup Pigeon peas / Toor Dal
* 1 cup Black gram skinned / Urad Dal
* Salt to taste or 1 teaspoon
* Oil for roasting
1. After rinsing soak Rice and each Lentil in 2 cups of Water for about 4 hours.
2. Then grind them into a neither too thick nor too thin batter and mix it altogether adding Salt.
3. Keep it covered for about 8 hrs to ferment.
4. In a Wok or Kadhai heat Oil.
5. In this ho5 Oil add Cumin seeds and Nigella,let it to crackle.
6. Now add Curry leaves and Green chillies,
7. Then add to it all the veggies one by one along with Salt.
8. Sauté till the veggies get a bit soft and Water is evaporated.
9. Add Coriander leaves and Garam masala.
10. Sauté more for couple of minutes and then put off the stove.
11. Add half of the veg mix in the batter and keep half aside.
12. Over a non stick griddle / Tawa add 1 teaspoon of Oil.
13. When the Oil and Griddle gets hot pour couple of tablespoons of batter over it and spread depending on how much thick or thin Uttapam you want.
14. Cook covered or uncovered.When done on one side flip and cook on other side adding a teaspoon of Oil.
15. Serve hot with Nariyal chutney.
– You can also cover and cook the Uttapam for 1-2 min for faster cooking.