Black Chichpea make a very tasty soup recipe .You can also evapourate the whole of water from it and have it dry as Masala Wala Kala Channa. Its a low Calorie diet and as being anti sugar good for diabetic patients.
- 500 gms Bengal horse gram / Black chickpea / Kala Channa
- 2 tsp Salt or as per taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 3 medium sized Onion
- 7 to 8 Garlic cloves
- 1 inch Ginger paste
- 2 Green Chilies
- ½ tsp Baking Soda / Edible Soda / Metha Soda
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Grounded Peppercorn (Optional) to make more hot
- 1 tsp Coriander / Dhania Powder
- 1 tsp Dry Mango Powder / Amchoor
- ½ tsp Carom Seeds /Ajwain
- Keep the Kala Channa soaked in enough water adding 1 tsp of Salt and Baking soda for about 8 to 12 hours.
- Take a pressure cooker and heat some Oil in it.
- Add now the Cumin seeds and Carom seeds in the hot oil and let them to splatter.
- Now add the chopped Onions and green chilies .Let the onions fry till golden brown.(Take out a part of fried onions to use for garnish later.)
- Add the Ginger & Garlic paste and sauté for a while.
- Pour the whole of the soaked Kala Channa with its water (You can add more water if required.) in the cooker adding all the grounded spices and salt as per taste and requirement except Garam Masala.
- Keep it to pressure cook for about 30 to 45 minutes till the kala Channa gets tender.
- After this add the Garam Masala and the remaining fried onions and keep on to cook for just 5 minutes more.
- Serve hot with Puri or Paratha.
- Instead of adding all these spices you can also try out ready made Channa Masala available in the market.
For any further clarification please do watch the video.