Today we will be making Dum Aloo a very famous vegetarian recipe from Kashmir made with fried potatoes in yoghurt gravy sauce and cooked on a low flame tightly covered over a long period of time -this is exactly what is signified as Dum Aloo.
- 12 Baby Potatoes
- 2 tsp Fennel Seed Powder
- ½ tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 ½ tbsp Curd
- 1 ½ tsp Red Kashmiri Chili Powder ( It has a different flavor giving dark color yet is not too hot )
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2 Black & 3 Green Cardamom Powder
- 3 Crushed Cloves
- ½ tsp Shahi Jeera / Black Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seed / Jeera Powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- Oil to fry
- Asafoetida / Hing
- 3 Glasses Water
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- Boil and peel the Potatoes.
- Pierce them with a tooth pick.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan to deep fry the Potatoes till golden brown.
- Keep the fried Potatoes aside, put off the burner and take out the excess oil out of the pan.
- Now in the hot oil add Red Chili powder along with Black & Green Cardamom powder and crushed cloves. Mix well for a while.
- Pour the curd in it now and mixing, properly for a minute put on the burner keeping it on a low flame. ( Be careful that the curd doesn’t curdle )
- Add water.
- Now add all the other remaining spices and salt.
- As the gravy comes to boil add the fried potatoes and cover the pan.
- Keep this to cook, covered for about 25 to 30 min on a low flame.
- By this time the Dum Aloo turns tender and absorbs gravy in it turn of the stove.
- Serve hot with Rice.
- Don’t boil your Potatoes to become too tender, but if steaming in a pressure cooker just give them 1 whistle.
- Piercing help in absorption of oil and gravy.
For any further clarification please do watch the video.