Sambar a popular South Indian dal recipe served with Rice,Dosa,Idli or vada.Sambar can be considered healthy in sense because of its vast ingredients and variety of vegetables that go in its making.lpLets make sambar in restaurants style without loosing its authentic traditional flavours.
Ingredients :- ( Serves 15 )
- 2 cup Spli5 Pigeon peas / Toor dal
- 50 gm Tamarind / Imli
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin / Zeera
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds / Mathi
- 2-3 Dry Red chillies
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- A pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 cup finely chopped Onion
- 1 cup in chuncks of Onion or 8-10 Onion shallots
- 1 cup big chunks of Bottle gourd / Lauki
- 1 cup Eggplant pie pecs / Baingan
- 1 cup Lady finger / Bhindi
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Coconut or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Jaggery / Gud
- 1+1/2 tbsp Sambar powder
- Rinse and keep dal soaked in water for 2-4 hours.
- Soften Tamarind by keeping it immersed in 1 cup hot water for 30 min.
- Then squeeze adding little more water if required and strain out seeds with other impurities.
- Pressure cook dal adding a teaspoon of Salt for 5-7 min. Then mash with ladle or hand masher to make it smooth adding a litre of water.
- In hot Oil add Cumin seeds,Fenugreek seeds,Dry Red chillies.Let these crackle then add curry leaves and Asafoetida.
- Now add finely chopped Onion.Saute Onion till golden brownish in colour.
- Next add all the veggies- Onion shallots,Eggplant,Lady finger and Bottle gourd.
- Sauté till the veggies get settle down and In between add Salt,Red chilli powder and Turmeric.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and continue cooking till the veggies get tender.
- To this now add the made dal,tamarind water,Jaggery and coconut.
- Let this come to a boil and then put on the lid and cook Sambar over low for about 15-20 min.
- Add Sambar powder and cook for another 5 min.
- Serve hot.
- You can take any mix of vegetables of your choice.