Rumali roti is a popular street food in which the regular homemade roti is made bigger and thinner like a RUMAL that’s handkerchief called in Hindi.At home we use a normal small size Tawa / Griddle to make our rotis so here we will be using the back side of a big utensil to make the roti.Speading the Rumali roti is also an art but here at home we will keep it simple using a rolling pin.Kets get started.
Ingredients :- ( Serve 9 )
- 1 cup Refined flour / Maida
- 1 cup Wheat flour / Atta
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Water
- Add both flours salt and Oil in a bowl.
- Mix till the flour turns flaky.
- Knead the dough using milk and water at room temperature.
- Continue kneading and punching the dough for about 5-7 minutes to make the dough soft and stretchable.
- Keep the dough covered with damp cloth for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat a big Kadhai over a gas burner by keeping it upside down over a low heat for about 10 min.
- Pinch out big lemon size portion of the dough and roll out a big transparent thin Rumali roti.
- Place the Rumali over preheated Kadhai over medium.
- Roast for 20 seconds on one side and when bubbles start appearing flip roti to roast for 20 seconds on another side,again 20 seconds on first side pressing while rotating the roti lightly with a cloth.
- Roast till you see brown spots.
- Serve hot with any spicy Indian curry.
- Adding wheat flour to Rumali roti makes it easy to spread and healthy.
- Knead dough with milk keeps it soft for a long time.
- Add the milk
- s and water little at a time while kneading.
- If required secure your burner heat with help of some stone slabs around it when Kadhai kept upside down.
- Don’t apply too much of dry flour for dusting while making Roomali roti, to avoid getting it hard.
- While rolling out one roti keep rest of the dough balls covered with cloth,to keep them fresh & moist.