This recipe of Jalfrezi is a mixed curry which started during the time of British rule in India.Jalfrezi was originally a non vegetarian recipe with leftovers of Chicken and some added veggies.Niw over the time a vegetarian version if Jalfrezi has come up ,thanks to new age restaurant- let’s make and enjoy it.
- 1 tbsp Clarifies Butter / Desi ghee
- 1 tbsp Butter / Makhan
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin / Zeera
- 2 Bayleaves / Tej patta
- 1 tsp Ginger paste / Adrakh
- 1 tsp Garlic paste / Lasan
- A pinch Cloves powder / Loung
- 1 big Onion / Pyaz
- 2-3 chillies / Mirch
- 1/2 cup Carrot / Gajar
- 1 Potato / Aloo
- 3 tbsp Peas / Matar
- 3 tbsp Capsicum / Shimla mirch
- 3 tbsp Spring Onion / Hara pyaz
- 1/2 cup Broccoli florets / Hara Gobi fool
- 1 cup Cabbage / Pata gobi
- 2 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1 tsp Coriander powder / Dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder / Lal mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 250 gm Cottage cheese / Paneer
- 1 tbsp fresh Coriander / Hara Dhaniya
- In hot clarified butter add Cumin and let it to crackle over low few seconds.
- Also now add in Bayleaves.Next add in Ginger-Garlic paste.Just give it a stir then drop chopped Onions.
- Sauté the onions over medium-high till translucent and in between adding chopped green chilies.
- Now add chopped Carrot.Saute Carrot till it gets soft.
- Next add in Potatoes,Salt, Cloves powder,Broccoli florets,Cabbage,Peas and Capsicum
- Saute the vegetables over high till they settle down and get tender not seeming raw anymore.
- Add finely chopped Tomatoes and spring Onions.Continue sauting over high till Tomatoes completely dissolved.
- Drop in Coriander powder,Chilli powder and Turmeric.Gently giving a toss mix the spices with veggies also adding Butter and Cottage cheese.
- Toss the veg mix .At this point veg mix has turned soft.
- Add handful of fresh chopped Coriander .
- Put off your stove, cover and let Jalfrezi sit for about 5 minutes before serving
- Goes best with Puri or Paratha or as a side dish for Khichadi .
- If the Carrot isn’t getting soft too easily add about 1/4 cup water and let it cook 5-7 minutes covered over low or untill soft.