Verki Puri as the name suggests is made out of lot of layers that is Verks in Hindi.But it’s more of a Mathri than puri,so let’s begin.
Ingredients:- ( Serves 12 )
- 1+1/2 cup Refined flour / Maida
- 1/2 tsp or per taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground Pepper / Kali mirch
- 1/2 tsp Carom / Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Nigella / Kalonji
- 1 tbsp Semolina / Suji
- 3-4 tbsp Ghee
- Little less than 1/2 cup Water / Pani
- 2 tbsp Rice flour / Chawal ka Atta
- 3 tbsp hot Ghee
OIL or GHEE to fry
- To make dough for Verki Puri In a bowl add Maida, Semolina, Salt, Pepper, Ajwain and Kalonji.Give a mix.
- Now rub in the warm Ghee.in the flour.
- Next adding normal room temperature Water little at a time make a stiff dough.
- Keep the dough covered aside for just 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make a paste ready for layering with a mix of Rice flour and Ghee.
- Divide the dough in 6 equal portions and roll it out into a thin Roti.
- Apply a thin coating of the made paste on the made Roti’ s when stacking them on one another.
- Roll the made pile inwards into a log.Roll the log a little to make it somewhat more long.
- Cut in half inch pieces and then flatten them with a lite hand into small flat disc using a rolling pin.
- Heat Ghee or Oil medium hot.
- Fry these layered flat disc or pooris over low-medium till crispy golden brown.
- Strain out over a paper towel.Cool serve or store for a month in an airtight container.
- After mixing and rubbing in the Ghee in the flour if you are able to hold the shape of the flour by pressing it in your hand ,then this indicates that the Ghee in the flour is in right proportion.
- You can sprinkle little dry flour over the Roti’s while keeping them aside when making them to avoid sticking of the Roti’s with each other.
- If the Ghee flour paste gets cold and thick ,heat and melt it again to get smooth spread.