Mango pickle the name is just enough to give you watery mouth specially when its made by grandmother in authentic traditional style.
how to dry mango for pickle without sunlight
There can be three ways by which you can dry mango pieces without sunlight. First, you can keep mango pieces to dry in an oven for about 1 to 2 hours at 80 to 100 degrees Celsius. Second, you can spread them over a flat basket and then keep them to dry in the fridge. Mango pieces will get dried within 5 to 6 days. The third, method can be to keep the mango pieces to dry under the fan if you are staying in a place with dry weather.
Ingredients :- ( Serves 500 gm )
- 600 gm Raw Mango / Kari
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin / Zeera
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander / Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Fenugreek / Mathi
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard / Rai
- 1/2 tbsp Fennel seeds / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Carom / Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Nigella / Kalonji
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- Cut mangoes in thin slices.
- Then generously sprinkle Salt over it,this will dehydrate Mango pieces.
- Keep Mango pieces to dry under sun or in fridge or in oven.
- After 5-6 days when Mangoes dry we will dry roast Cumin,Coriander,Fenugreek and Mustard over a low heat.Cool and grind
- Add the ground spices to a bowl to this add remaining spices along with Salt to taste and Mustard oil.M
- Add the dry Mango pieces to this mix,completely coating the Mango pieces with this spice mix.
- Now add these pieces to a sterilzed glass jar.
- Secure the lid with a plastic sheet or cotton cloth using a rubber band.
- Keep this jar under sun or in warm corner of your kitchen for a week.
- And your Mango pickle is ready.
- To dry mango pieces spread them over a cotton cloth to dry under sun.
- You can also dry it in fridge by keeping it over a sieve.It will take you 4-5 days.
- In oven you can dry Mango pieces by keeping it at 80°C to 100°C for 2-3 hours.
- Do not over roast spices,it might turn bitter.
- You can use smoked or unsmoked Mustard Oil.
- In between while pickling if your pickle looks too dry you can add more Oil if required.
- To keep your pickle fungus free never use wet spoon to take out pickle and never keep your pickle exposed to moisture.