Karela Sabzi | Karele Ki Shahi Masala Sabzi | Besan Karela Sabzi Ki Recipe | Karele Ki Sabzi is such an Indian curry made using Bitter gourd also known as Bitter melon or Karela in Hindi which is often despised by some people especially children because it’s somewhat bitter in taste as the name suggests.
Usually, in summer Karela Sabzi is made on a regular basis once a week or in fifteen days with some variations to avoid the boredom of eating the same Sabzi.Though this Karela Sabzi is made in various types,it’s made in a very simple way using minimum spices. Karele Ki Sabzi can be made in various forms depending on what you are serving it , like if you want to serve it with Chapati prepare a stir-fried karela sabzi Karela recipe or Karela Bhurji or Karela Chips or stuffed Karela which is Bharwa Karela. These can also be served as a side dish with Rice.
Karela Sabzi can also be made as gravy curry which goes well with Rice like Karela baingan sabzi. Here we have made a Shahi Masala Karela recipe removing bitterness without compromising its nutritional value. We can remove the bitterness from Bitter gourd using several methods while cooking, among which the most common is the use of lots of fried Onion which helps to cut out the bitter taste to some extent. Several other ways can also be implemented like removing the green skin of the Bitter gourd, keeping cut Bitter gourd with or without skin coated with Salt for 30 minutes to an hour, and then squeezing it out .The method of preparation which we are using here is completely different from above.
Benefits of Karela
Karela Sabzi | Karele Ki Shahi Masala Sabzi | Besan Karela Sabzi Ki Recipe | Karele Ki Sabzi.Now as said most people avoid eating Karela due to its bitter taste though it has got lots of health and medicinal properties in it. Bitter gourd not only helps to control blood sugar but also keeps your skin and gut health.
How to choose Karela for cooking
You should choose Bitter gourd carefully. They should be lush green in color and slim. If they look to be fat, this might indicate that they are having lots of hard seeds in them. When sliced Bitter gourd should not be red inside leaving too many seeds, this is an overripe Bitter gourd. Best for cooking are unripe Bitter gourd.
Video recipe of Karele Ki Sabzi
Recipe card for Karele ki sabzi
Karela Sabzi | Karele Ki Shahi Masala Sabzi | Besan Karela Sabzi Ki Recipe | Karele Ki Sabzi
- 400 gm Bitter gourd / Karela
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder / Lal mirch
- 2 tsp Gram flour / Besan
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 Litre Water / Pani
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Vinegar / Sirka
- 2-3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso Ka tel
- 1 tsp Gram flour / Besan
- 1 tbsp any Oil / Tel
- 1 tsp Cumin / Zeera
- 1 tsp Garlic paste / Lasan
- 1 tsp Ginger paste / Adrakh
- 2 medium Onion / Pyaz
- 3 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 tsp Kashmir red Chilli powder / Kashmiri Lal mirch
- 1 tsp Coriander powder / Dhaniya
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder / Dalchini
- 1/4 tsp green Cardamom powder / Elaechi
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste / Namak swad anusar
- 2-3 Chillies / Mirch
- 1/2 cup Curd / Dahi
- 2-3 cup Water / Pani
- 1 tsp Dry Fenugreek leaves / Kasoori methi
- Cut Bitter gourd in small round pieces.
- Boil Water adding Vinegar and Salt.
- Put off the stove and add to it cut Bitter gourd pieces.
- Keep them soaked in boiled Water for about 5 minutes.
- Strain out the pieces into a bowl.
- Now over it drop Gram flour,Salt,Turmeric and Chilli powder.Give a mix to give a thin coating to the Bitter gourd pieces.
- Keep it marinated for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Next heat Mustard Oil until it’s smoked out.
- Add the Bitter gourd pieces along with Gram flour to give Bitter gourd thin Gram flour coating.
- Strain out when the pieces turn golden.
- Add and heat more Oil.
- Over this drop Cumin and let it crackle on low for few seconds.
- Keeping heat low also add Garlic paste and Ginger paste. And within a minute Onion.
- Sauté Onions till golden brown.
- Next add Tomato purée .Give a stir
- Within a minute of adding the Tomatoes add spices-Turmeric,Kashmiri red chilli powder,Coriander powder,Cinnamon powder,green Cardamom powder,Garam masala,Salt and slit green Chillies keeping heat low.
- Sauté the Tomato paste with spices till the paste gets dark in colour and somewhat thick,loses moisture.
- Next add Curd,give a mix.Keep covered for 2 minutes on low-medium.
- Add Water and fried Bitter gourd pieces.Give a stir.
- When gravy comes to boil,cover and let it cook on low-medium for 20-25 minutes or until Bitter gourd pieces get soft.
- After the Curry gets cooked add crushed dry Fenugreek leaves for more flavour.
- Give it one boil and Bitter gourd Sabzi is ready.
Step by step Karele Ki Sabzi :-
- Wash and cut Bitter gourd into pieces not too thick or thin.
2. Boil about one litre of Water with one teaspoon of Salt and one teaspoon of Vinegar.
3. Put off the stove and keep Bitter gourd pieces immersed in this hot Water for just 5 minutes
4. Strain out the pieces and then add over it two teaspoons of Gram flour, half a teaspoon of Turmeric powder, half a teaspoon of Chilli powder, and one teaspoon of Salt.
5. Mix giving the Bitter gourd pieces a spice and Gram flour coating. And let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
6. Now heat two to three tablespoons of Mustard Oil until smoked out.
7. Add the marinated Bitter gourd pieces with one teaspoon more of Gram flour. in the hot Oil to fry.
8. Fry the pieces till they turn golden. Strain out and keep aside for a while.
9. Heat one tablespoon more Oil or in the remaining Oil add one teaspoon of Cumin seeds. And let it crackle on low for a few seconds.
10. Next will go in one teaspoon of Garlic paste and Ginger paste each.
11. Give a stir and within 30 seconds to a minute add finely chopped two medium-sized Onions.
12. Stirring occasionally sauté Onions till they turn golden.
13.Make three Tomatoes into a purée and add them to the Onions.
14.After sauting puree for a minute keeping heat low add the spices – half teaspoon Turmeric, one teaspoon Kashmiri red Chilli powder, one teaspoon Coriander powder, one fourth teaspoon Cinnamon powder, one-fourth teaspoon green Cardamom powder, half teaspoon of Garam Masala,Salt to taste and two to three slit green Chillies.
15.Sauté the Tomato paste till it turns a little dry and dark.
16. Now add about half a cup of Curd.
17.Stir to mix and keep covered for two minutes on low-medium.
18. Masala is ready. Now add two to three cups of Water and fried Bitter gourd pieces. Give it a stir
19. When the gravy comes to a boil, cover and cook on low. medium for twenty to twenty-five minutes or until Bitter gourd gets soft.
20. Add hand-crushed one teaspoon Dry Fenugreek leaves.
21. Give a boil for a minute and Shahi Masala Karela Sabzi is ready.
- Separate out hard seeds from Bitter gourd if any.
- Boiling and marination helps to lower the Bitter taste of Bitter gourd to some extent.
- After marination Bitter gourd pieces absorb the whole of Gram flour in itself ,so while frying we add more Gram flour.
- Don’t over fry the Bitter gourd pieces otherwise you.will destroy its nutritional value.
- Keep consistency of the gravy as per your choice.