Sandesh is a popular and signature sweet from Bengal and in winters it is made with sugary sweet Dates palm syrup or its Jaggery which gives Sandesh a very nice and different flavour.
Ingredients:- ( Serves 10 )
- 1 Litre full fat Milk / Gada Gayi ka Doodh
- 2 tbsp Vinegar / Sirkha
- 2+1/2 tbsp Dates Jaggery or any Jaggery / Gud
- 1/2 tsp green Cardamom powder / Hari elaechi powder
- Some Pistachios / Pista
- Heat milk till it comes to boil and then switch off the stove.
- Mix equal quantity of water to the amount of Vinegar taken that is 2 tablespoons of Water with 2 tablespoons of Vinegar.
- Add this to the boiled Milk and stir..Milk will curdle within 4-5 minutes.
- Now add enough Water,about a litre to the curdled Milk to drop its temperature.
- Keeping a thin cotton or muslin cloth over a sieve or colander strain to separate the curdled milk from the whey.
- Now tie the made sack and lightly squeeze it to remove excess Water.
- Then either hang it or keep it under lite weight over a sieve to remove more Water for about an hour.
- Now Channa / Paneer ( Cottage cheese ) is ready.
- Take it out in a thali,knead mash it using your palms for 5-7 minutes until creamy soft.
- Add it to a non stick pan along with Jaggery.
- Cook on a low heat stirring continuously till it gets into one mass and is non sticky to when taken a little portion in hand.
- Before switching from mix Cardamom powder.
- Remove from flame drop into a plate and let it cool down.
- Take small portions make any desired shape or design to make Sandesh.
- You can garnish with Almonds or Pistachios.
- Chill and serve.
- Milk tends to stick to bottom,so keep on stirring in between while Milk comes to boil.
- Adding Water to Vinegar helps to make Channa / Paneer soft.
- You can also curdle Milk using equal quantity of Lemon juice.
- Wash the curdled milk with enough plain Water to remove the Lemony smell.
- Channa whey is high in protein you can use it to make curry.
- You can eep Sandesh in fridge for about a week.