Dahi Aloo is a flavourful recipe made by frying half by boiled Potatoes, then cooked in Yogurt which is Dahi in Hindi spiced with some herbs and spices. Here this Dahi Aloo Sabzi recipe is made in Kashmiri style WIthout the use of any Onion and Garlic. This makes this Dahi wale Aloo ke recipe best to be enjoyed during Vrat.
This Dahi Aloo Ki Sabzi which is made with gravy goes best with rice and if you make it dry it will go very well with roti.Dahi Aloo Ki sabji can either be made very mild or some what tangy and spicy but little less spicy than the Kashmiri Dum Aloo You can cut on the calories of this aloo ke Dahi wale sabji by adding low fat yogurt/Curd.
Dahi Aloo can also be made in Rajasthani style where the spices are different from that used in Kashmiri style Dahi wale Aloo ke sabji.Here the Dahi Aloo is made in Kashmiri style without the use of Onion or Garlics.So this makes Dahi Aloo wale Sabzi good for Vrat/upvas or even good for a lite dinner.
Stuffed paratha being high in nutrition and very filling can be taken as a heavy breakfast. The vegetable paratha recipe remains soft for a longer time due to the moisture of the veggies and the Oil used to Knead the dough, so you can pack them for the lunch box and you won’t require any other Sabzi to be taken with it, Just some pickle or Curd will be fine.
Video Dahi Aloo Gravy Recipe
Dahi Aloo Gravy Recipe
How to Make Dahi Wale Aloo Ke Sabzi | Kashmiri Dahi Aloo Gravy Recipe
- 4 medium boiled Potatoes / Aloo
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso tel
- Salt to taste / Namak
- 1 cup Curd / Dahi
- 2 Cloves / Loung
- 1/2 tsp Cumin / Zeera
- A pinch Asafoetida / Hinge
- 1 Bayleaf / Tej patta
- 1 black Cardamom / Badi elaechi
- 1/2 tsp Ginger paste / Adrakh
- 3 dry red Chillies / Sukhi mirch
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder / Lal mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder / Zeera powder
- 1/4 tsp Dry Ginger powder / Saunth
- 1/2 tsp Fennel powder / Saunf
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder / Dalchini
- 1/4 tsp green Cardamom powder / Hari elaechi
- 1/2 tsp Clarified butter / Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- Pressure cook Potatoes upto 6 whistles or boil Potatoes until 80% cooked.
- Heat Oil until smoked out.
- Fry long cut Potatoes until lite golden.
- In the remaining Oil keeping heat low add Cloves, Cumin, Asafoetida, Bayleaf, Black Cardamom and Ginger paste.
- Give a stir for a minute and continue adding dry red chillies, Kashmiri red chilli powder, Turmeric, Cumin powder, Ginger powder, Salt, Fennel powder.
- After roasting spices for a minute on low add Curd.Stirring contineously cook Curd till it comes to boil.
- Now add about 2 cups of Water, fried Potatoes, Cinnamon and green Cardamom powder.
- Give a mix and cover to cook on low-medium for 10-15 minutes till Potatoes get tender and gravy gets a bit thick.
- Add Clarified butter and Garam masala, give a stir with lite hand and Dahi Aloo Sabzi is ready.
- Don’t add water before Curd comes to boil completely, otherwise, curd might curdle.
- Adding Ghee is optional to thicken the gravy.