Recipe of Kheer rice pudding Is an Indian pudding recipe is also known as Payasam in south of India.The main ingredient for a Payasam kheer or kheer is the same which is Milk and Rice. But the Rice used to make kheer is not the one which is used on the daily basis but special Basmati or a Rice with aroma is used to make it and the one which can easily gets soft.We stay in Kolkata So here in Bengal so unlike north of India here Basmati rice is not used to make kheer but a locally grown rice called Gobind Bhog is specially used to make kheer recipe.This Rice has small ins ,gets very easily and quickly soft and is extremely aromatic .
The word kheer was derived from the Sanskrit word Ksheer which means milk. Kheer is said to be originated in ancient Iran then traveled to the Mughal subcontinent and then became prominent in South Asia. And now on any auspicious or festive occasion, it is customary to prepare Chawal Ki kheer which is rice kheer. As kheer is usually made during festive occasions it’s made in large quantities for not less than 10-20 people. But the recipe shown here is for 6 servings.If you are making it for a large number of people you can increase the quantity accordingly. There are now other types of kheer also made, basically anything or grain which is cooked in milk and sugar is called kheer. So we get Sabudana kheer,Daliya kheer,makhana kheer and so on.
The kheer recipe we are making here is a kind of instant one-pot kheer because we will soften the rice in a pressure cooker within 2 minutes and after that add milk to it. But we must acknowledge that when rice is softened using milk which should be full-fat milk even better, it gives a delicious taste and altogether different texture to the kheer. If you do not have full-fat milk you can add cream or condensed milk to the kheer to make it richer. For sweetening kheer instead of Sugar Jaggery can also be used.
Video Instant Rice Kheer recipe
Indian Kheer Sweet Dessert | Indian Rice Pudding Kheer Recipe
- 1 cup Gobind Bhog Rice
- 3 cups Water / Pani
- 1 tbsp Clarified butter / Desi ghee
- 1 Litre Milk / Doodh
- 3/4 cup Sugar / Cheeni
- 1/2 tsp green Cardamom powder / Elaechi
- Some chopped dry fruits mix
- Rinse to wash the rice couple of times and then add Water pressure cook it for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté chopped dry fruits in hot Clarified butter stirring continuously over low-medium for just a couple of minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let the pressure settle down and then open the lid.
- Mash the very soft rice with a masher or from the back of your spatula.
- Add Milk and mix until the Milk well blends with the rice.
- Add Sugar,sautéed dry fruits, and Cardamom powder.
- Mix and give it 1-minute to boil
- Delicious instant kheer is ready. Serve garnished with some more chopped dry fruits warm or cold.
- We have to make Rice very soft and soggy to make it easily mashable.
- Pour and serve kheer in earthen pots to get thicker kheer .
- Kheer gets thicker when it cools down so don’t overboil to evaporate the milk.