Khichdi is not only a traditional Indian dish but also the national dish of India. It is a simple wholesome, tasty one-pot meal but very nutritious for any age group. This healthy Khichdi is made by different states in their own style with a variety of ingredients. Let discover here the Khichdi recipe from Kashmir called ‘Mong Dal Khyachir’.
What is Khichdi?
Khichdi, also known as khichri, khichuri, or khichadi, is a flavorful combination of rice, lentils, and a variety of different spices. Khichdi is often said as “comfort food” because its simple to cook and easy to digest. It is not only popular in Indian households as a wholesome food that is easy and quick to prepare but also holds cultural significance during various festivals and religious ceremonies.
The Origin of Khichdi
The history of khichdi dates back to ancient times, this is proved by the reference of Khichdi in our ancient Ayurvedic texts. making it one of the oldest known dishes in Indian cuisine having healing properties. Over the ages, Khichdi has evolved, got diversified, with different regions of India adding their own special twists to the recipe. Khichdi with simple tweaks is such a dish that can suit any choice.
Special Kashmiri Mong Dal Khacir
Here we will be sharing with you Kashmiri green moong Dal khichadi called Khyachir in Kashmiri language. This khichdi recipe is more of a Moong dal Pulao as it’s not made very soft as a porridge but the rice kernels need to be kept like we do so in Pulao. This Special khichadi has festive relevance as it’s made mandatory on the auspicious occasion of Posh Krishna Paksha Amavasya night, known as Khech Mavas. The use of regular and some aromatic spices makes it a delightful treat enjoyed with any spicy curry like Dum Aloo as a side dish.
Some Khichdi Options
A Jain khichadi can be made without the use of onions or garlic.
A healthy khichdi without the use of much Oil or Ghee is best for weight loss.
A pressure-cooked Khichdi can be the best option for a quick healthy lite dinner.
A very soft porridge like Khichdi can be a very good healthy baby food.
Basic Khichdi Recipe
A basic khichdi recipe is made of equal parts rice and lentils, usually, it can be moong dal or toor dal. The grains are cooked together with some basic Indian spices like turmeric until they get soft and form into porridge-type consistency. And this Khichdi is then served with the temper of hot Desi ghee (clarified butter), adding a rich and creamy flavor.
Video How To Make kashmiri moong dal khichdi
Health Benefits of Khichdi
Khichdi is a recipe that is not only full of flavors but also offers several health benefits. Khichdi is a balanced combination of carbohydrates, vitamins, proteins, and nutrients. The quality of Khichdi is that it is easily digestible in nature which makes it a go-to food during illness and for people with sensitive stomachs. To the Khichdi the addition of spices such as Turmeric, cumin, and asafoetida are known for their anti-inflammatory and digestive qualities not only enhance the taste but also provide various medicinal properties, while cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon add a delightful aroma.
1.Is khichdi good for weight loss?
Yes, khichdi can be a healthy choice for weight loss as it is low in calories and high in protein because of the use of lentils and it also gives essential nutrients.
2. Can khichdi be given to the baby?
Yes, khichdi can be an ideal solid food for babies, providing them with the necessary protein and nutrients for growth.
3. How can I make a quick delicious khichdi?
To make a quick khichdi, you can use split lentils and rice prior soaked for at least an hour before.Pressure cooking it to reduce the cooking time.
4. What are the health benefits of Khichdi?
Khichdi is not only easily digestible but also provides a balanced meal with a mix of nutrients, carbohydrates, and protein.
5. Which lentils are commonly used in khichdi?
Moong dal and toor dal are the most commonly used lentil to cook khichdi.
Recipe Card – How To Make Kashmiri moong dal khichdi
Kashmiri Style Special Moong Dal Khichdi | Mong khyachir Khech mavas Special recipe
- 2 Cup Rice / Chawal
- 1/2 cup Green Gram / Hara moong dal
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso tel
- 1 pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 tsp Cumin / Zeera
- 2 Black cardamom / Badi elaechi
- 3 Bayleaves / Tej patta
- 3 Cloves / Loung
- 1 inch Cinnamon / Dalchini
- 3 Dry red chillies / Sukhi Lal Mirch
- 1 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Fennel powder / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder / Saunth
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder / Zeera
- 1 tsp full Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- As per taste Salt / Namak
- About 5+1/2 cup Water / Pani
- Heat Mustard Oil till smoked out..
- Add Asafoetida, Cumin, broken Black cardamom, Bayleaves, Cloves, Cinnamon sticks and red chillies.
- Let whole spices crackle on low for a minute.
- Next add moong dal along with 1 cup of Water. Pressure cook 1 minute or for 1 whistle.(It should not be fully cooked ).
- Now add rice to it, sauté rice and dal together over medium-high for about 1-2 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add Water 4+1/2 cups, Turmeric, Fennel powder, Ginger powder, Cumin powder, Salt and Desi Ghee.
- Give a stir and pressure cook for 2-3 minutes on medium-high or until no water comes out of the blowing whistle l
- Serve hot with raita or Achar or any Spicy sabji .