Brown rice pulao can be said as a wholesome recipe that in a healthy way satisfies your taste buds and will surely become one of your favourites.If you’ve never tried brown rice before, you might be curious about its taste. Brown rice has a delightful nutty flavor with a slightly chewy texture.
Brown rice especially the basmati brown rice variety is considered to be very rich because of its nutritional value. Brown rice is such because unlike white rice, brown rice’s outer bran layer, is retained, making it a healthier choice.
Vegetable brown rice is made with sauteed veggies, aromatic spices, and herbs and then cooked in enough water till it gets tender.Brown rice takes a lot of time to cook and it also requires a lot of water while cooking. On the other hand white rice, only requires two times more Water to cook, while brown rice requires three times more Water.
How to Cook Brown Rice
Now if you don’t have too much time in hand it’s always good to pre-soak brown rice and cook it in a pressure cooker. Besides that cooking rice in a pressure cooker is a popular method that is easy and convenient. Cooking brown rice in a pressure cooker will not only significantly reduces the cooking time, but retains nutrients – thus giving more health benefits also using the right amount of water you will achieve perfect rice texture. If you have enough time in hand you can make brown rice in regular pot like we have done here.
There are many other Indian recipes that can be made with brown rice like Brown Rice Biryani- made with basmati brown rice. Brown Rice Khichdi, Sindhi Brown rice pulao, and the one which we are making here Brown Rice Pulao. To give Brown rice pulao south Indian flavour, you can add Coconut milk to it
Brown Rice For Weight Loss
Brown rice helps in weight loss as its rich in dietary fiber, which aids digestion and helps control appetite. Second, Brown rice has a low glycemic index which prevents sudden spikes in blood sugar levels, keeping you full for longer periods. Other than that Brown rice is also packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
Video Vegetable Brown Rice Pulao Recipe
Vegetable Brown Rice Recipe
Vegetable Brown Rice Pulao | How to Cook Brown Rice Pulao Without Pressure Cooker
- 2 Cups Brown Rice
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- ½ tsp Green Cardamom Powder / Hari Elachi
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon Powder / Dalchini
- ¼ tsp Black Cardamom Powder / Badi Elachi
- 3 Bay Leaves / Tej Pata
- 2 Medium Onion
- 3 Cloves / Loung
- ½ tsp Ginger Paste Adrakh
- ½ tsp Garlic Paste / Lehsun
- 1 Cup Chopped Carrot
- 1 Cup Florets of Broccoli
- 1 Cup Coarsely ground Coriander Leaves Mint Leaves & Fenugreek Leaves
- 2 to 3 Greem Chilies as per taste
- 6 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- To start with soak the Brown rice in 2 cups of water for about 1 hour.
- In a vessel now add some olive oil.
- To it then drop in some Bay leaves, Cumin seeds, Green Cardamom Powder, Cinnamon Powder, Black Cardamom and cloves.
- After this add the chopped Onions. Fry them till translucent. Now add the Garlic & Ginger paste. Sauté just for another minute.
- Now add the coarsely ground mix of Coriander Leaves, Mint Leaves & Fenugreek Leaves along with the Veggies.
- Sauté them all together, let it to settle down a bit and within 5 minutes add the soaked rice along with 4 cups of water,salt and Garam Masala.
- Let this to cook covered till you are able to press the rice between your finger and thumb but if its feeling still raw.(It will take you about 20 to 25 min)
- Then place your vessel over a griddle or a Tava and let it to cook covered till rice is tender.
• Use Nonstick vessels for less oil cooking.
• In Brown rice the ratio of water should be 1:3 or if you want softer 1:4 unlike the white rice that we usually cook in the proportion of 1:2, that is 1 Cup of Rice and 2 Cups of water.